Sunday 3 March 2013

Practice, practice, practice..........Picasso!

Hi there!

Well we are back home and starting to settle into normal life again. This weekend I have spent some time catching up on some sketching - mainly working on portraits, which I have not done for quite some time. Its amazing how you can forget what to do if you don't practice. My case in point is this......

This was a portrait that I did a couple of years ago, when I was sketching on a regular basis.....its a portrait of Agatha Christie. I was pretty happy with the result. This was done with graphite pencils.


I also did this portrait of my friend Angelica - this one in pastels - I was also pretty happy with the result.



BUT THEN, SOMETHING WENT WRONG!!!!!!


This was a sketch I did in my art journal..........which I guess is different from sketching a portrait - more abstract I suppose.......but I tried again and ended up with this!


Which again is OK for a journal page but I just kept going then, trying to remember how to get proportions right......all the things I learned at art classes.....


I don't seem to be getting much better...........


Again, proportions aren't right........


I have decided............I am in my 'Picasso' phase..........realism will come again one day.....I just have to PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!!!

Thanks for stopping by!!  xxx

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

VonnieMay that is a very very interesting point you make about practice, and in this case, I can see the results of your point. But I wonder if there is something more than practice involved in this ... I sometimes wonder whether our 'other' artistic senses take over when we stop drawing for a while. For instance,, you would have been doing a lot of photography while you were away, and that calls for a different sense of aesthetics and proportion. I find when I'm in a very prolific painting phase, my photography gets bad and then vice verse. Perhaps the brains in our mere mortal heads only likes to master one craft at a time?? Vallie xoxo

Unknown said...

Vallie - you may be right! But I think something else comes to play here - and that is patience! The first two drawings were done over time - and each took quite some time to finish. The other drawings were in 'art journal' mode - they were each done within 10 mins - I think I need to be a bit kinder to myself and realise there is a difference between drawing to get a 'real' result - or just getting something down on paper for my journal. xx Thanks for your comment.

Carin Winkelman said...

A really good drawing does take time. I'm often impatient two. Those old portraits are spectacular by the way. I think practice is indeed important, but maybe you're expecting a bit too much from yourself. I hike a lot, but if I skip it for a while all my muscles start to protest when I get back to it and then all I can do is get back into the habit. Maybe that's all it takes. Practice and time and....patience (sigh). ;-)